23 Little Known Ways To Clean Your Entire Home With Just Vinegar
Vinegar is one of the best natural cleaners out that there can practically clean anything!
In fact, i have replaced about 90% of my household cleaners with vinegar and other natural ingredients to get the same cleaning power or even better.
Today i am going to share with you, 23 of the best vinegar cleaning hacks to clean just about anything in your home!
Let's get started!
Save This On Pinterest
At Homewhis, we select and write about topics we love and think you'll like too. Homewhis has affiliate and advertising partnerships so we get revenue from sharing this content and from your purchase but at no extra cost to you.
Click a section to be taken right to one of the hacks.
- 1. Eliminate Stubborn Microwave Stains
- 2. Eliminate Soap Scum on Shower Glass
- 3. Clean Out Hard Water Stains
- 4. Create A Natural All Purpose Spray
- 5. Toilet Bowl Deep Cleaning Made Easy
- 6. Miracle Grout Whitener
- 7. Clean Your Coffee Maker
- 8. Clean Your Wood Floors
- 9. Unclog Your Shower Head
- 10. Eliminate Toilet Stench Instantly
- 11. Get Rid of Weeds
- 12. Make your Cutlery Shine Again
- 13. Clean & Soften Used Paint Brush
- 14. Streak Free Window Cleaner
- 15. Clean out Your Dishwasher
- 16. Remove Sticker Residues
- 17. Remove Vegetables Pesticides
- 18. Soften Your Fabrics
- 19. Clean Your Oven Naturally
- 20. Clean Your Leather Furniture
- 21. Freshen up Your Carpet
- 22. Create Your Air Freshener
- 23. Make Your Blender Look New Again
1. Eliminate Stubborn Microwave Stains
Finding it hard to get rid of hard stains in the microwave oven?
Mix equal parts of water and vinegar into a microwave safe bowl and place it into the oven,
Leave it on high setting for 6 minutes.
In the meantime the vinegar mixture turns into steam which helps dissolve the tough stains for easy cleaning.
You should find it very easy to clean off the stains.
Tip: You may want to add a few drops of citrus essential oil for better results.
2. Eliminate Soap Scum on Shower Glass
Having hard water buildup or soap scums on your glass shower doors?
Those unsightly soap scum looks depressing and can have negative impact on your mood.
But as always, vinegar to the rescue!
Spray the glass liberally and use a sponge to wipe and spread the solution.
Allow the solution to sit for at least 20 minutes before rinsing off with water.
Wipe the glass dry with a microfiber cloth for a sparkling new shower door.
Tired of regular squeegee that leaves streaks of water behind that is not comfortable to hold?
With this all in purpose squeegee, streak almost never happens because of it's innovative design that uses only the best materials.
3. Clean Out Hard Water Stains
Have stubborn calcium buildup on your faucets that is impossible to clean?
Wrap kitchen towel around the affected areas on your faucet and pour vinegar directly onto the paper towel until it's soaking wet.
Let the vinegar sit for about 1-3 hours before removing the towel and scrubbing the remaining lime buildup with a used toothbrush.
Rinse and dry the faucet.
If you have trouble removing the lime buildup, let it soak for another hour and it should come off pretty easily.
4. Create A Natural All Purpose Spray
If you love natural green cleaners, then this type of vinegar spray is probably going to be your favorite!
This simple, yet power spray uses discarded fruit peels and herbs that you can find in the backyard or the groceries store, making it economical and environmentally friendly.
Scented Vinegar Recipes are Versatile and they contain 3 main ingredients:
- White Vinegar
- Citrus peels
- Fresh or Dried Herbs
Here's a sample Recipe to get you started:
You'll need a glass jar with lid, enough lime peels to fill half the jar, 10g of Fresh Mint Leaves.
- Fill half the glass jar with the lime peels and add the mint leaves
- Fill the jar with almost boiling white vinegar.
- Close the jar and store in a cabinet or under the sink
- After 2 days, Strains the peels and herbs and store the concentrated scented vinegar in a another glass jar.
How to use Scented Vinegar
- All Purpose Cleaning Spray: Dilute the vinegar solution with 1 part vinegar, 1 part water to spray on household surfaces like your countertop, sink and floor. (Do Not use on marble or stone surfaces).
- Carpet Deodorant: Use the all purpose cleaning spray (1 part scented vinegar 2 part water) to spray your carpet and leave it to dry.
- Effective Microwave Cleaner: Combine 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup water into a microwave safe container and leave on high for 2 minutes, letting the vinegar steam dissolve the stains. Then, wipe with a microfiber cloth.
- Freshen Your Fridge: Dip a microfiber cloth in equal parts of vinegar and water to wipe.
- Fabric Softener: Simply Add a cup of vinegar during the rinse cycle to soften and deodorize the your laundries.
- Deep Clean Your Toilet Bowl: Turn off your water supply and empty the water tank then, fill it up with vinegar. Next, stuff wet paper towel onto the water jet area and spray heavily with vinegar, letting it soak overnight. Remove the paper towel and flush out the vinegar.
- Hardwood Floor Cleaner: Combine a mixture of 1 part vinegar to 2 part water in your mop bucket and use it like your usual floor cleaner. (Avoid using this on marble, stone or granite floors)
Here's an ergonomic frosted spray bottle that delivers super fine mist without leakage!
Perfect for DIY cleaning sprays and looking pretty too!
5. Toilet Bowl Deep Cleaning Made Easy
Here are 3 simple steps to clean the toilet bowl surfaces
- Pour 1 cup of vinegar and 1/2 cup borax into the bowl and close the lid.
- Spray the bowl top down with an all purpose spray, and allow the solution to sit for 10-20 minutes.
- Wipe the exterior of the bowl with a kitchen towel and flush.
This should keep your toilet bowl shining clean and disinfected.
Deep clean the water tank by following the steps below
- Turn off the water supply and empty the water tank by flushing
- Add equal parts of vinegar and water into the tank to soak overnight
- Then, simply flush out the waste water.
Here's a little trick to dry your toilet brush and prevent odor from developing
6. Miracle Grout Whitener
Want to clean your grout lines without having to buy expensive and toxic grout cleaners?
We've got you covered! You'll need some white vinegar and dawn dish soap.
- Wet the grout line with vinegar or lemon juice, then add 2-3 drops of dawn dish soap.
- Use an old toothbrush to spread the mixture and start scrubbing.
- Wipe away with a damp cloth and your grout line should be whiten
For me, it only took 50-70 secs to completely whiten the grout which shows how effective this duo is.
In the photos, i used dawn platinum + lemon juice, vinegar is stronger but i ran out of them
Of course you can make it into a spray as well, make sure you use a stronger concentration and here's how
Combine 2 cups of white vinegar with 3 tbsp of dawn dish soap into a spray bottle and shake well.
Follow the same cleaning steps as outlined above you'll love this simple spray.
Why do all the manual scrubbing when you can attach a cleaning brush onto a drill and push a button?
That's precisely what this drill brush set is all about!
Say goodbye to elbow grease and power your way through stubborn stains, dirt and grime effortlessly with the push of a button!
7. Clean Your Coffee Maker
Vinegar is great at removing coffee stains
Run a mixture of equal parts of water and vinegar through the coffee maker.
Allow the mixture to sit in the coffee pot for about 20 minutes before scrubbing gently with a brush.
Run 2 cycles of regular water to flush out the remaining vinegar before brewing again.
Tip: If you have tough water marks that is hard to remove, add some baking soda and scrub.
8. Clean Your Wood Floors
Floor cleaners are expensive and unsustainable and they are not the best cleaning agent for your floors.
Vinegar helps to break down grease and dirt on wooden floors much more effectively.
Just add 2 cups of vinegar to a gallon of water the next time you mop the floor and you'll see the difference.
Plus, it's more economically feasible if you mop the floor frequently.
Avoid using it on marble floors because the vinegar will damage the marble surface.
Want to make your cleaning experience much easier? This spin mop eliminates the manual work of squeezing water out of your mop!
Just place the mop head into the wringer, step on the pedal until you get the desired moisture before mopping.
It's special microfiber cloth is great at picking up everything on the floor so pebbles, pet hair and dirt are not a problem.
9. Unclog Your Shower Head
Lime buildup can cause your shower heads to get clogged which, affects the flow and quality of the water coming out.
Here's what you can do:
Add warm vinegar into a plastic bag and tie it over the shower head with a rubber band so that it's fully soaked.
The vinegar works to dissolve all the calcium buildup which unclogs the shower head
Leave it overnight before wiping clean to be used again.
10. Eliminate Toilet Stench Instantly
This is one of my favorites when i am out of vinegar sprays, it is easy to make, non-toxic and really effective too!
How to make essential oil Infused Vinegar
- Combine 1 cup of water and 1 cup of white vinegar into a spray bottle
- Add 20 drops of lemon or peppermint essential oil & shake before use.
- Label the Bottle (To prevent mixing)
Incredibly Effective For:
- Eliminating pee stench: If you have men or boys in the family, you probably have problems with the pee smell every so often. Simply Spray the bowl area to quickly remove the smell.
- Cleaning & Disinfecting Cutting Boards: Get rid of the bacteria on your cutting board by spraying liberally and letting it sit for 20 minutes before rinsing.
- Cleaning Stainless Steel Appliances
11. Get Rid of Weeds
If you have weeds growing in the cracks of your walkway and driveway.
Create a spray with white vinegar as the sole ingredient.
Spray at the roots of the weed and they should quickly start to dry out.
For stubborn weeds, add regular table salt into warm vinegar solution.
12. Make your Cutlery Shine Again
As cutlery start to dull out and lose its shine due to hard water exposure, you can use vinegar to make it sparkle again.
Combine 2 cups of boiling water with a cup of vinegar in a large bowl.
Place your cutleries into the bowl and leave them to soak overnight.
On the next day, rinse and dry them with a microfiber cloth and your cutleries will looks just like new!
13. Clean & Soften Used Paint Brush
Is your paint brush hard and sticky even after washing? Before throwing them out you should try this...
Place your brushes into a old used pan and heat the pan with white vinegar before it begins to boil.
Then allow the brushes to soak for about 15 minutes before washing with warm water and soap.
Your brush should feel like new and you don't have to waste money buying another one!
14. Streak Free Window Cleaner
Is your window always cloudy and lack shine? Simply create a spray with the recipe below.
Streak Free Window Cleaner Recipe
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 4 cups water
- 20 drops essential oil of choice (lemon would be my first choice)
- A BPA-free plastic spray bottle
How to make
- Combine everything in a spray bottle.
- Shake well to mix.
- Spray onto glass surface and wipe clean with a microfiber cloth
Mist it over your windows, allowing it to sit for 5-10 minutes before wiping clean with a microfiber cloth or newspaper to prevent water mark
Avoid using regular cloth as they can leave residue behind.
Here's a 3 in 1 squeegee broom that has the functionality of a squeegee, a broom and a carpet brush for pet hair.
The back of the broom is a squeegee that can be used to dry the floor or your windows and give them a streak free look
15. Clean out Your Dishwasher
Vinegar does a great job at keeping your dishwasher clean,
It prevents hard water stains from getting on your dishes and gives your dishwasher a through cleanse.
Clean out the dishwasher components first then, add 2 cups of white vinegar to the bottom dishwasher before running an empty cycle.
16. Remove Sticker Residues
Having trouble peeling and scratching off the price tag and stickers?
Here's what you can do instead:
Apply vinegar to the sticky area and let it sit for 5 minutes before easily removing the glue.
It works every time!
17. Remove Vegetables Pesticides
Produce from the store often comes with pesticides and bacteria that we don't want and water simply isn't enough to remove them.
Pour a cup of vinegar into the container and fill with water until the vegetable is fully submerged.
Allow it to soak for a few minutes then clean the vegetables and rinse with water before letting it drain dry.
18. Soften Your Fabrics
Ran out of fabric softeners? Allergic to them? Or find them too expensive?
Whatever the reasons, you can use vinegar to achieve the same effect without the side effects!
Here's a simple way to do it:
Just before the rinse cycle phase, add 3-5 cups of vinegar according to the amount of load.
That's it! You'll have softer fabrics that's free of odor.
19. Clean Your Oven Naturally
Don't want to buy chemicals just to clean the oven?
Here's what you can do instead:
First, make some baking soda paste by adding water, apply it to your oven and allow it to sit overnight.
On the next day, spray the oven with vinegar, scrub off and wipe with a damp cloth.
If you happen to need some brushes then here's a 4 pcs brush set that will help you scrub just about anything at any angle.
Wide, narrow, corner, these brushes have you covered.
20. Clean Your Leather Furniture
Unlike leather cleaners, vinegar is gentle and more affordable and is just as effective.
Vacuum Clean your leather furniture to remove any dirt and debris.
Combine equal parts of water and vinegar into a spray bottle
Spray the solution on your furniture and wipe it down with a microfiber cloth before drying with a clean towel.
Here's our premium microfiber cleaning cloth that's perfect for this hack
21. Freshen up Your Carpet
No more scrubbing away at carpet stains and tolerating bad odors that comes out from it.
Spray the stained area or the entire carpet and allow it to dry.
After drying, vacuum the carpet and you'll find that the smell has disappeared.
22. Create Your Air Freshener
If you want to ditch the aerosol spray but don't know what to use then, here's how you can make one.
Combine 2 parts water with 1 part vinegar into a spray bottle and add citrus essential oil if you like.
This DIY spray is environmentally friendly, much healthier and very pocket friendly
23. Make Your Blender Look New Again
After multiple uses, your blender will start to look old and cloudy due to buildup of hard water stains.
Here's a quick fix:
Fill the blender with warm water until it is half full, add a cup of vinegar and a few drops of dish soap.
Leave the blender running for 2 minutes and rinse it clean.
You should be able to see through the blender, just like when you used it for the first time.
Save This On Pinterest
Shop Cleaning Ingredients
1 | Borax
2 | Fels Naptha
3 | WD-40
4 | Heinz Vinegar
5 | Baking Soda
6 | Dawn Dish Soap
Now It's Your Turn!
There you have it, 23 vinegar cleaning hacks that you can use immediately to freshen up your home.
Which hack are you going to try first?
Replace your sprays?
Deodorize Your Fridge?
Let me know by leaving a comment below now.