23 Japanese Bathroom Cleaning Hacks To Deep Clean Your Bathroom & Eliminate Odor
The bathroom is one of the least favorite place to clean but is also the one that most cleaning routine are based on.
So, if you want to leave your bathroom smelling fresh and clean
Without using elbow grease or pinching your nose during the clean
Then, you'll absolutely love these 23 bathroom cleaning hacks.
If you're looking for bathroom smell hacks as well click here
And for cleaning schedule please head over here
Let's get started!
At Homewhis, we select and write about topics we love and think you'll like too. Homewhis has affiliate and advertising partnerships so we get revenue from sharing this content and from your purchase but at no extra cost to you.
1. Cleaning out the Bathtub
These are soap scums, caused by a reaction between hard water and soap.
To remove, cut half a grapefruit and cover the flesh with coarse salt for to create a natural scrub.
In circular motion, rub the areas of the tub that has been stained, squeeze the grapefruit as you rub.
Let the grapefruit juice soak in the bathtub for 5-10 minutes before scrubbing off with a sponge and rinsing.
2. Unclog & Clean Your Faucets
To remove hard water stains, spray your faucet thoroughly with vinegar and let it sit for about 20 minutes before cleaning with a toothbrush.
Alternatively, you may use magic erasers to clear out the hard water stains instantly.
To unclog your faucet, simply remove the faucet head and soak them in equal parts of vinegar and water for 15-30 minutes before rinsing off
To make your faucets shine, apply some baby oil.
3. Make your Shower Glass Sparkle
Having hard water buildup or soap scums on your glass shower doors?
Here's what you can do...
Create a spray by filling it with vinegar and adding 1 tsp of dish soap.
Spray the glass liberally and use a sponge to wipe and spread the solution.
Allow the solution to sit for at least 20 minutes before rinsing off with water.
Wipe the glass dry with a microfiber cloth for a sparkling new shower door
4. Kill Mold And Mildew
Create a mixture by combining a liter of water and 1 cup of borax into a spray bottle.
To remove mold or mildew, spray and saturate the affected area and leave it for 2 hours.
Use a little scrubbing to get the mold off then rinse with water.
5. Unclog & Clean your Shower Heads
Lime buildup can cause your shower heads to get clogged which, affects the flow and quality of the water coming out.
Add warm vinegar into a plastic bag and tie it over the shower head with a rubber band so that it's fully soaked.
The vinegar works to dissolve all the calcium buildup which unclogs the shower head
Leave it overnight before rinsing & wiping clean to be used again.
6. Unclog The Drain
Overtime, the drain becomes clogged with hair and soap scums and we need to do some maintenance to prevent the drains from stinking.
Drop 2 Alka-seltzer tablets or effervescent tablets into the drain
Pour a cup of warm white vinegar and allow it to soak through to loosen and unclog your drain.
7. Whiten & Disinfect your Shower Curtains
Not sure how to clean your curtains?
No worries, here's how:
- In a bucket, pour 2 part water, 1 part vinegar, 1 tbsp of laundry detergent
- Add the shower curtain into the bucket and soak for an hour
- Rub them together to remove the dirt before rinsing and sun dried
Simple as that, you curtain is now whiten thoroughly cleaned!
8. Streak Free Mirror Hack
The next time you clean your mirror make a spray
- Combine equal parts of vinegar, rubbing alcohol and 1 tsp of cornstarch
- Spray the mirror
- Scrape off the water with old newspaper or microfiber cloth
This will leave your mirror sparkling like when it was first installed, completely dust and stain free!
9. Whiten The Grout Lines
Spray the grout lines liberally with undiluted hydrogen peroxide (3%) and let it sit for 30 minutes.
Scrub the grout line with a used toothbrush or grout brush (if you have one).
While you are at it, you should see the dirt fall off otherwise, you may have to soak it for another 30 minutes
Rinse the area with water, wipe clean and let it dry for an hour and you should see your dirty grout line transform into sparkling white color.
10. Use Heat to Clean Faster
The warmer the temperature, the faster your cleaning ingredient will work.
When heated, acidity dissolve gunk quicker, break down calcium, soap scums faster and they disinfect better.
So the next time you use vinegar for shower glass, mirror or bathtub cleaning, remember to heat them up.
11. Complete Toilet Bowl Cleaning Hack
Here are 3 simple steps to clean the toilet bowl
- Pour 1 cup of vinegar and 1/2 cup borax into the bowl and close the lid.
- Spray the bowl top down with an all purpose spray, and allow the solution to sit for 10-20 minutes.
- Wipe the exterior of the bowl with a kitchen towel and flush.
This should keep your toilet bowl shining clean and disinfected.
Deep clean the water tank by following the steps below
- Turn off the water supply and empty the water tank by flushing
- Add equal parts of vinegar and water into the tank to soak overnight
- Then, simply flush out the waste water.
Here's a little trick to dry your toilet brush and prevent odor from developing
12. Cleaning the Tiles
Nothing beats white vinegar and dash dish soap when it comes to cleaning your bathroom tiles!
- Combine equal parts of vinegar and water and some dawn dish soap in a small bowl.
- Soak a sponge in the solution you've created and scrub
- Leave the solution to sit for 20 minutes before rinsing off
This will remove soap scum, disinfect your bathroom and freshen up your bathroom
13. Whiten your Sink
If your sink is infected with soap scum
Here's what you need to do...
- Grab a lemon and some dawn dish soap
- Squeeze lemon juice and add drops of dawn dish soap directly onto a sponge
- Apply the mixture on the sink and let it sit for 10 minutes
- Scrub the basin and you will see the dirt and stains fall off quickly.
Now rinse and let it dry.
14. Use a Screwdriver
This tip might sound weird but it is actually a pretty useful hack!
The Next time you clean the crevice between your toilet bowl and tank,
Dip a rag into your cleaning solution and wrap it around the tip of the screwdriver
Now you have a pointy cleaning tip that will clean area you wouldn't be able to reach!
15. Clean the Bathroom Floor Last
Your floor should be the last thing to clean
When you're cleaning other stuffs in the bathroom, the floor is going to get dirty again, which means you'll have to clean them again.
Here's a quick recipe:
- Pour vinegar directly onto the bathroom floor and add detergent
- Briefly Scrub the floor and get the mixture all over the floor.
- Let vinegar soap solution sit for 20 minutes before scrubbing again.
Rinse and allow the floor to dry
That way you remove all soap scum and heavy stain leaving your bathroom fresh and clean.
16. Creating a Checklist
Forgot to clean the faucet again?
You can get the cleaning checklist over here
To avoid such a situation again, it helps to create a checklist for:
- What needs to be cleaned
- Which to clean first
- how much ingredients you need
- Which cleaning solution to create
This will save you lots of cleaning ingredients as you can make them in bulk
And most importantly, get you out of the bathroom asap!
17. Cleaning The Exhaust Fans
For better cleaner ventilation, do this! Get a vacuum cleaner to suck out all the dust
Remove the cover and wash with dawn dish soap, you might need to scrub using a sponge or old toothbrush
Rinse and dry and enjoy the fresh air!
18. Disinfect the Loofah
Your loofah collects lots of germs and need to be cleaned week to prevent getting germs on your body whenever you shower.
Here's how to do it:
- Place your loofah into a bowl and add hot boiling water
- Add 2 tbsp of hydrogen peroxide and let it sit for an hour
- Rinse and dry under the sun
19. Dissolve Limescale With Cooking Spray
Oil helps to break down limescale deposits very effectively.
So, the next time you clean your faucets, give the limescale a light spritz with any cooking spray.
Wipe with a kitchen towel to remove hard water stain and get your faucets to shine.
20. Freshen Toilet With Mouthwash
Aside from dental hygiene, mouthwash are great for making the bathroom smell good.
Pour a quarter cup of mouthwash into the toilet tank.
When flushing, the mouthwash will instantly freshen up your toilet bowl without leaving any stains behind
21. Shine Toilet Bowl With Stone
To remove that unsightly toilet bowl ring, use a pumice stone.
You can get pumice stones with handles you can wear a glove when scrubbing away at the toilet bowl.
Pumice stone are effective at lifting those mineral buildup from hard water.
22. Make Your Own Poo Pourri
Making your own poo Pourri will work wonders for your bathroom.
No one wants to leave behind the nasty smell for anyone else to breathe in!
To make one, combine these ingredients in a small spray bottle
- 10 Drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 1 Drops Winter Green Essential Oil
- 1 tbsp Dawn Dish Soap
- 1 1/2 cup tap water 1 tbsp Rubbing Alcohol
- A small spray bottle
Spray into the bowl before doing your business and the smell will be trapped underneath the water and nobody's nose gets hurt.
23. Use Incense To Eliminate Odor
Smoke are effective at destroying any odor so here are some ideas on how to create small smokes.
Stick an incense stick into a small glass jar and light it up.
Alternatively, you can use scented candles to add fragrance while eliminating odor.
Now It's Your Turn!
I hope you've enjoyed my 23 bathroom cleaning tips & hacks
Now i'd like to hear from you!
which cleaning hack is your favorite?
If you've enjoyed this blog post, please share it with a friend!