21 Amazing Kitchen Cleaning Hacks & Tips To Get Rid Of Stubborn Stains
Today I'm going to show you how to use safe, natural and inexpensive ingredients to clean your entire kitchen.
They are Effective
They require little to no elbow grease
And they are extremely practical
Let's get Started!
At Homewhis, we select and write about topics we love and think you'll like too. Homewhis has affiliate and advertising partnerships so we get revenue from sharing this content and from your purchase but at no extra cost to you.
Skip Forward if you see a topic you like
- 1. Deep Clean & Restore your Oven
- 2. Freshen Up Your Trash Can
- 3. Turn Your Cabinet Squeaking Clean
- 4. Brighten Your Kitchen Floor
- 5. Eliminate Burnt Stove Top
- 6. Deep Clean Your Dishwasher
- 7. Sparkle Your Counter tops
- 8. Freshen Up Your Microwave Oven
- 9. Remove Water Stains From Faucet
- 10. Sterilise & Clean Your Chopping Board
- 11. Deodorize Your Fridge
- 12. Unclog Your Kitchen Sink
- 13. Clean Your Range Hood
- 14. Descale Your Electric Kettle
- 15. Turn Your Pots Sparkling Clean
- 16. Keep Your Wooden Cabinet Fresh & Clean
- 17. Sterilise & Disinfect Your Sponge
- 18. Cleaning Your Oven Racks
- 19. Remove Strong Odor From Your Hands
- 20. Clean Your Blender in Under a Minute
- 21. Sterilise Your Kitchen Towels
1. Deep Clean & Restore your Oven
After months of use, your oven probably looks like this...
No worries! You really only need 3 ingredients
Create a paste by combining 1 part water to 3 part baking soda, just add more baking soda when it gets too watery.
Apply that paste to your oven and let it sit 2-4 hours or overnight.
But it works every time!
If you happen to be looking for stiff brushes to simplify scrubbing, then here's a 4 pcs brush set that will help you scrub just about anything at any angle.
Wide, narrow, corner, these brushes have you covered.
2. Freshen Up Your Trash Can
If you garbage can is starting to smell...
And you can't seem to get rid of the stench no matter how hard you clean
it then it's time for lemons and baking soda!
- Simply squirt a tbsp worth of lemon juice and add 2 tbsp of baking soda into the disposal opening
- Allow it to sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Flush with water.
- Dry in the sun
And just like like. The smell is gone!
You may use these 2 ingredient to deodorize new trash can with terrible odor.
3. Remove Cabinet Grease
If you cook frequently, love frying stuffs, your cabinets are going to get sticky and greasy.
Dawn dish soap are perfect for this job because they dissolve greasy and goo very quickly.
To clean your cabinet, squeeze 4-6 drops of dawn dish soap on a damp sponge or microfiber cloth then wipe your cabinets and cupboards.
Squeaking clean, works every time!
Take note not to use the scour pad of the sponge or it will leave scratch marks on your cabinets.
4. Brighten Your Kitchen Floor
Do you want to Freshen up and get your floor to shine?
Lucky for you it's really simple...
The next time you mop the floor:
- Add a cup of washing soda, a cup of white vinegar, 1 tbsp of dawn dish soap into about 3 gallons of water
This solution eliminates grease and disinfect, leaving your floor fresh and clean smelling.
However, take note that you should not use this on marble and stone floors due to the acid from vinegar.
Want to make your cleaning experience much easier? This spin mop eliminates the manual work of squeezing water out of your mop!
Just place the mop head into the wringer, step on the pedal until you get the desired moisture before mopping.
It's special microfiber cloth is great at picking up everything on the floor so pebbles, pet hair and dirt are not a problem.
5. Eliminate Burnt Stove Top
I'm sure you would agree if i said burnt food is the hardest to clean,
With the help of baking soda, it becomes so much easier.
- Create a paste but mixing equal parts of water and baking soda
- Apply the paste to affected area, letting it sit for 30-60 minutes.
- Add soap dish and give it a scrub
If the burnt does not come off completely, add paste and wait another 30 minutes.
6. Deep Clean Your Dishwasher
Vinegar does a great job at keeping your dishwasher clean,
It prevents hard water stains from getting on your dishes and gives your dishwasher a through cleanse.
Clean out the dishwasher components first then, add 2 cups of white vinegar to the bottom dishwasher before running an empty cycle.
7. Clean Your Granite Countertops
Granite countertops are beautiful centerpiece of your kitchen.
They are hard to scratch and resistant to heat.
But if you use the wrong cleaner, they can get damaged and discolored
So here's a special cleaning recipe for granite countertops:
- Combine 1/2 cup of rubbing alcohol with 7 drops of dawn dish soap and 1 cup of water into a spray bottle
- Spray the mixture onto your countertop liberally
- Use a microfiber cloth to wipe clean
This should make those granite countertop look clean and shiny!
8. Remove Microwave Oven Stain & Grimes
Finding it hard to get rid of stains, grease and grimes in the microwave oven?
Here's a simple solution...
No elbow grease, no scrubbing!
Mix equal parts of water and vinegar into a microwave safe bowl and place it into the oven,
Leave it on high setting for 6 minutes.
In the meantime the vinegar mixture turns into steam which helps dissolve the tough stains for easy cleaning.
You should find it very easy to clean off the stains.
Tip: You may want to add a few drops of citrus essential oil for better results.
9. Clean Stainless Steel Appliances
Want to leave your steel appliances clean and shinny?
Spray WD 40 onto your fridge door and wipe with a microfiber cloth and you'll have a brand new looking fridge!
Same thing with kitchen sink, after cleaning your sink, dry with a cloth and spray WD-40, then use cloth to wipe polish the sink surface.
10. Sterilize Your Chopping Board
Have wooden cutting board or utensils smells bad despite being cleaned?
Here's what you can do
Prepare half a lemon, coarse salt, bench warm water, dry cloth then follow the 4 simple steps below:
- Sprinkle the coarse salt evenly on the wood surface
- Squeeze the lemon slightly as you use it like a brush to scrub the cutting board or utensils.
- Leave it to sit for 6 minutes before rinsing off with warm water and dry clean
This method is safe for deep cleaning and disinfecting without toxic chemical hence, keeping your food safe.
11. Deodorize Your Fridge
You might have expired food that you've forgotten to take out, or you have leaving your fridge smelling like the garbage can.
Here's what you can do:
- Pour a box baking soda into 2 containers
- Place one of them at the top, the other in the freezer
Baking soda is well known for absorbing strong odor.
You can remove it when the smell is gone.
12. Unclog & Deodorize The Kitchen Sink
No more buying expensive chemicals to unclog the drain!
Here's how to fix it:
- Pour a kettle of hot boiling water down sink
- Add 4 tbsp of baking soda and allow it to sit for 5-8 minutes
- Boil equal parts of water and white vinegar in a pan
- Pour the boiling vinegar mix over the baking soda and wait for 10 minutes
- Do a final cleanse by pouring a kettle of boiling water.
This chemical reaction between the baking soda and vinegar melts the residue blocking the drain.
13. Clean Your Range Hood Filter
If you haven't washed your range hood filters...
Chances are they are greasy, sticky and nasty! And you probably want to throw them away
Don't! Here's a simple way to make them clean again
- Fill a large pot with water and boil
- Add a cup of baking soda bit by bit
- Finally, add your hood filter into the boiling mixture
- Boil it for 3-5 minutes
- If you pot isn't deep enough, flip the hood to boil the other side
- Then, air dry your hood before using them again
You should see all the dirt, grease and grime rise to the surface while your filter gets a good cleaning.
14. Descale Your Electric Kettle
Seen that hard deposit at the base of your electric kettle that is hard to remove?
It's probably calcium and magnesium buildup caused by hard water...
To remove them, do this:
- Add equal parts of white vinegar and water to the kettle
- Boil the water
- Scrub lightly with a sponge
The hard deposit should melt off very easily and in some case you just need to wipe with a cloth.
15. Turn Your Pots Sparkling Clean
Isn't it satisfying to see your pots shine?
It just makes your kitchen looks so much brighter and cleaner...
Here's how we do it:
- Create a paste using 3 part borax and 1 part water
- Spread the paste thoroughly on your pots
- Let it sit for 20 minutes
- Scrub with a sponge or brush and rinse with warm water
Just like that!
You should see the seemingly burnt areas transform into shiny new looking silver!
16. Clean Your Iron Skillets
Cast iron skillets are versatile cookware that requires special care just like a baby.
Here's how you can keep them clean and prevent them from rusting ever!
If you have burnt food that is stuck:
- Create a paste by combining fine kosher salt and cooking oil
- Use a cloth to rub the paste around the pan
- Dispose the cleaning paste and dry clean with a kitchen towel.
- Never soak your iron skillets in soap water.
- Do not scrub the pan (to preserve the non stick coating)
17. Sterilize & Disinfect Your Sponge
Kitchen sponge tend to degrade fast.
And quickly find its way to the trash can...
With baking soda, you can revive dirty smelly sponge and use them for a longer time.
Here's the steps:
- Add 1 tbsp of baking soda to 300 ml warm water
- Soak the sponge in the mixture for 3 hours
- Increase the amount if you have more sponge to clean
This will remove the foul smell from your sponge and you'll have a fresh new sponge for use.
18. Cleaning Your Oven Racks
If your grill is stained with thick oil and grease that is impossible to remove then you need some dawn dish soap.
- Start by mixing filling up large bucket or kitchen sink or bathtub with hot water
- Add 3-4 tablespoon of dawn soap (remember to stir).
- Soak your BBQ grill in the bucket for about 20-30 minutes
- Remove and wipe clean with a Sponge
The grease and char should come off pretty easily
You'll have fresh and clean grill bars again for your next bake!
19. Remove Strong Odor From Your Hands
After handling fish, garlic and onions, you've probably have undesirable smells on your hands...
No worries. Here's what you can do!
- Squeeze some lemon juice and add some baking soda to your hands
- and rub them together for a minute.
- Rinse with water and dry with a towel
The nasty odor should disappear immediately
20. Make Your Blender Look New Again
After multiple uses, your blender will start to look old and cloudy due to buildup of hard water stains.
Here's a quick fix:
Fill the blender with warm water until it is half full, add a cup of vinegar and a few drops of dish soap.
Leave the blender running for 2 minutes and rinse it clean.
You should be able to see through the blender, just like when you used it for the first time.
21. Sterilize Your Kitchen Towels
Your kitchen rag is probably second to your cleaning sponge when it comes to being dirty and stinky!
And you probably use them everyday to wipe your countertop or dry your hands!
So let's keep them clean in 3 simple steps
- Boil a kettle of water
- Add your kitchen rag into a container
- Add 1 cup of vinegar and 2 tbsp of lemon into the container
- Pour the hot boiling water into the container and let the rag soak overnight
- Rinse and Dry.
Just like that!
You'll have fresh and clean kitchen rags that is bacteria free.
Shop Cleaning Ingredients
1 | Borax
2 | Fels Naptha
3 | WD-40
4 | Heinz Vinegar
5 | Dawn Dish Soap
That's a handful of kitchen cleaning hacks that i use myself
- Cleaning the kitchen can be economical & effective
- Baking soda is great for removing stains and odor
- Lemon & Vinegar is great for dissolving limescale buildup
- Dawn Dish Soap is a great de-greaser and safe for your home
Now i'd like to hear from you:
Which cleaning tip from the list was new to you?
Which one you liked most?
Leave your thoughts in the comment section below.